Memory (RAM) can become corrupted and not work properly. Usually, a replacement is needed to fix the problem, but before you replace your hardware, you should use the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool. This tool is available in both Windows Vista and Seven.
Learn, in this guide, how to run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool in Windows 7 or Vista.
Running Windows Memory Diagnostic
To run Windows Memory Diagnostic, do the following:
- Click the Start button, type mem, and click on Windows Memory Diagnostic
- When the Windows Memory Diagnostic screen loads, click Restart now and check for problems
- You computer will restart
- The memory diagnostic will run and may take some time (or a crap-load of time depending on your patience!)
- Windows will restart and report any errors to you
After sharing this feature with Windows Vista users, many of them reported a more responsive system after the test.