I have an installation of Windows 7 running really well, on 512MB RAM*, without any problems at all. I must say: “I am very impressed by this operating system.”

UPDATE: More information on running Windows 7 on 512MB RAM under normal use here.

See the task manager performance log below to see how the resources are being used. If you have an older system running on Windows XP (because Vista requires too much of the system), you may want to try Windows 7.

Windows Seven 7 Runs Flawlessly on 512MB RAM

Find out how to get a 30 day (can be extended to 120 days) trial here

*I am not using Aero and only have core programs installed.

About Rich

Rich is the owner and creator of Windows Guides; he spends his time breaking things on his PC so he can write how-to guides to fix them.

Free PC tips by email

Search Windows Guides

Comments

71 thoughts on “Windows 7 Runs Flawlessly on 512MB RAM”

1. jamy015 says:

Thanks for sharing! My thumb rule is always: “Double the Microsoft requirements” so i thought i cant run it on my xp 512mb machine but i can!

2. jamy015 says:

3. jamy015 says:

4. jamy015 says:

5. Harmish says:

hey will it run properly without any problem in:
    P4 2.66Ghz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Nvidia GeForce 7100 128MB…
    Most probably it ll, i think.. but i heard it is giving some Audio problem in P4 Processors…?? is it..? or fixed via update…? any one here with Windows 7 running in P4 flawlessly pls let me know..!!
    Thanks..!!

6. Harmish says:

hey will it run properly without any problem in:
    P4 2.66Ghz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Nvidia GeForce 7100 128MB…
    Thanks..!!

1. Rich says:

Each setup is different and different hardware combinations can cause problems. I would say you should just try it. As long as you can live with the possibility of that box not working for a day or two while you experiment. Please let us know how it goes.

7. Harmish says:

hey will it run properly without any problem in:
    P4 2.66Ghz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Nvidia GeForce 7100 128MB…
    Thanks..!!

1. Rich says:

8. Rich says:

9. green_link says:

i have win 7 running on a 1.7GHz single core processor with 32MB video card and 512MB RAM and it runs fine. i also have office 2007 installed.

10. green_link says:

1. Rich says:

Thanks for letting us know. I’m sure as programs and services are installed, things will slow a little, but it seems to bear well under stress. I’ll be doing an update today of how Windows 7 manages under “normal” use.

11. green_link says:

1. Rich says:

12. Rich says:

13. Andres says:

Pentium Dual Core @~1.6 GHz (x2)
    2.5 Gb RAM
    380 Mb Intel Graphics
    80 Gb HDD

Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid
    Windows 7 Ultimate Beta

Both Up and Stable

Installing W7 on an old Presario V2000
    Sempron ~ 1.8
    2380 Mb RAM
    190 Mb ATI Graphics
    ( Wishmeluck )
    ( I Could Get Vista + Office XP + Itunes + Sidebar + IExplore 7 to run in an accpetable form )

14. Andres says:

Pentium Dual Core @~1.6 GHz (x2)
    2.5 Gb RAM
    380 Mb Intel Graphics
    80 Gb HDD

Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid
    Windows 7 Ultimate Beta

Both Up and Stable

Installing W7 on an old Presario V2000
    Sempron ~ 1.8
    2380 Mb RAM
    190 Mb ATI Graphics
    ( Wishmeluck )

15. Andres says:

Pentium Dual Core @~1.6 GHz (x2)
    2.5 Gb RAM

instead of 2380 Mb RAM

18. Andres says:

Correction, the V200 has
    380 Mb RAM
    instead of 2380 Mb RAM

19. Shane says:

What’s wrong with your task manager?

In the meter it lists CPU usage as 2% , while at the bottom it lists it as 7%

20. Shane says:

What’s wrong with your task manager?

In the meter it lists CPU usage as 2% , while at the bottom it lists it as 7%

21. Shane says:

What’s wrong with your task manager?

In the meter it lists CPU usage as 2% , while at the bottom it lists it as 7%

22. Rich says:

Ha, I didn’t notice. I assume either one was updating as I took the screenshot.

23. Rich says:

Ha, I didn’t notice. I assume either one was updating as I took the screenshot.

24. Rich says:

Ha, I didn’t notice. I assume either one was updating as I took the screenshot.

25. Ahmed Kotb says:

quote >>>
    <<<end quote

where is that update ??? i really need to know if win7 is better than xp on a 512 mb ram pc….
    thanks…

26. Ahmed Kotb says:

quote >>>
    <<<end quote

thanks…

1. Rich says:

I’ll have it done by the end of the day :)

27. Ahmed Kotb says:

quote >>>
    <<<end quote

thanks…

1. Rich says:

I’ll have it done by the end of the day :)

28. Rich says:

I’ll have it done by the end of the day :)

29. Ahmed Kotb says:

Thanks :D and looking forward to …:)

30. Ahmed Kotb says:

Thanks :D and looking forward to …:)

31. Ahmed Kotb says:

Thanks :D and looking forward to …:)

32. Pingback: Windows 7 Release Candidate gets new features
  33. Windows 7 Release Candidate ge says:

Windows 7 Release Candidate gets new features…

deVbug’ s Blog is powered by Textcube 1. 7. 7:…

34. Win 7 tester says:

I’m testing it on a 4 year old desk top with 1 gb ram and pentium 4 and I have already loaded it with lots of frograms. It outperforms XP on the same computer. I have them dual booted. Programs: convertxtodvd, nod32, utorrent, office 2007, and many many more. Again it outperforms XP by landmarks. Just booting up takes less than half the time. If Microsoft don’t do anything stupid from now till the realise this is going to be better than XP by far….

35. Win 7 tester says:

36. Win 7 tester says:

37. James (Windows 7 tester) says:

Hey guys, I have had windows 7 beta for more then a month and I installed the ultimate (RC) onto my desktop four days ago. No problems yet. So.. To test out this guys theory thingy, I am installing the Release candidate to my Acer Aspire 4315. The System is running on a Intel processor and has 1.73 GHZ, and a 512 MB RAM.

38. James (Windows 7 tester) says:

39. James (Windows 7 tester) says:

40. Indro says:

hey i also just downloaded the win7 and installed it on a 512 mb ram pc. Its running fine but just the boot time is slow. Hope I could increase my ram. I am really liking it I had the basic drivers(sound,graphics,etc.) for xp so when I started the driver setup it said that it was not compatible with this version of windows so first I got disappointed but then after closing the setup half way one box poped up saying that the software might not be installed correctly and there was an option that install with recommended settings I clicked it and Alas!!!!! it worked. This was really something I liked a lot about it. I think this one could be a big hit from Microsoft.

1. Asnbit says:

Don’t you mean ‘Bingo!!!!’ – you’re not happy it worked ? ;)

41. Indro says:

42. Indro says:

43. Chris says:

I am running Windows 7 RC on my Aspire One Netbook and it runs much better then xp ever did. It’s gonna suck when the RC stops working sometime June of next year if i’m correct, if not please correct me. But yeah i’ll have to either buy 7 or go back to xp. :( In case no one knows the Aspire One I have is:

Intel Atom 1.6GHZ 512kb L2 Cache

Intel Atom 1.6GHZ 512kb L2 Cache
    1gb ddr2
    160gb hdd
    Intel Graphics

46. Joe says:

I’ve got one!
    Have an ACER Aspire 5100 laptop (100 gig drive) running dual os’s. Windows XP and Windows 7 RC1.
    Problem: Upgraded the memory by replaciing two 512 mb sticks with two 1 gig sticks.
    The XP os recoginizes the increase in RAM, but the Windows 7 RC1 still thinks there’s only 1 gig in there.

How do I get the RC1 to use the 2nd 1 gig?

47. Joe says:

I’ve got one!

How do I get the RC1 to use the 2nd 1 gig?

48. Joe says:

I’ve got one!

How do I get the RC1 to use the 2nd 1 gig?

49. Paul DaSilva says:

I’m running Win 7 RC 32 bit on an old Hp A450n Pentium 4 / 3.0 GHz: 1 gig memory, with HyperThreading Technology, 800 MHz front side bus, and it is running flawlessly, never been happier with an OS.

50. Paul DaSilva says:

Comments are closed.

Computer tips in your inbox
Sign up for the Windows Guides newsletter to get PC tips and access to free Windows books (More details)

Popular Guides

See which sites have been visited on your PC (even if private browsing mode is used)

Create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc

Best Free Anti-malware

Hibernate vs. Sleep vs. Shut-Down

i3, i5, and i7; Dual, Quad, Hexa Core Processors. How to they Differ?

Intel's Ivy Bridge Processor: new Features