In Windows Vista, you may get an “Access is denied” message when trying to connect to a network printer. In this guide, you’ll learn a workaround to help resolve this issue.
Fixing the “Access is denied” Error
I tried adding the network printer as a local printer and it worked, so here is my solution.
- Press Start and click Control Panel
- Click on Printer, which is under the Hardware and Sound category
- Click on Add a printer from the top menu
- Select Add a Local Printer
- Select Create a New Port and the type as Local Port. Click Next.
- In the Port Name box, type the network path of the printer (i.e. computerprintername). Press Next.
- Find your printer or locate the drivers via Windows Update or the printer’s CD. Click Next. Click Finish.
- The printer will now install
The printer will now work for you. Check by printing a test page.