This quick tip is in response to a couple of readers’ questions on how to forcefully kill a program.
Sometimes a program will hang up and wont close. You can use task manager to kill the process or you can run a simple command. Learn how to do both of these in this guide.
Use Task Manager to Terminate a Program
To use task manager to terminate a program, do the following:
- Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to open the task manager
- Find the frozen process and right click the name
- Click End Process
- Exit the Task Manager
Use the Command Line to Terminate a Program
Sometimes you just want to use the command line; to use the command line to terminate a program, do the following:
- Press WINKEY+R to Open the Run dialogue (Start, type run, click run)
- Type cmd and hit Enter
- Type taskkill /f /im process.exe (process exe is the frozen process’s name)
- Wait for confirmation and exit the command line