One of our readers, Dean Anthony, read my article on Outlook Backup. Dean tipped us about an add-in for Outlook which does the job for you. This Add-in copies your .PST files at regular intervals, in Outlook 2002, 2003 and 2007 versions, making it easy to keep all of your Outlook folders safely backed up. You can download the add-in free of charge from the Microsoft Office Website. Once downloaded and installed on your computer:
- Start Outlook.
- On the File menu, choose Backup.
- To change the backup options, such as which .PST files to back up, and When to do so click Options. The settings window let you choose which PST-files to backup, where to do it, and also set a reminder so you don’t forget to.
- Click Save Backup to start the backup process.
A few notes!
- This Add-in is only necessary if you use Microsoft Office 2002, through 2007 as this function is already in the new (an upcoming) Office 2010 (a future article will have more on the subject) .
- If you are on a Microsoft Exchange Server, you will not need this add-in as the PST-files are likely backed up regularly by your server administrator.
- this Add-in will not work on East-Asian Operating-systems running English versions of Microsoft Office.