If you’re itching to take a tour and try the new features of Windows 8.1, including automatic app updates, booting straight to the desktop, (up to) four app split screen, radio, a health and fitness app, 3D printer support, and more, you can download it now.
Note: If you’re using an English version of Windows, you can only install Windows 8.1 Preview from the Windows Store if your OS base language is English (US)
If you do not have a Windows 8 disc handy, create a Windows 8 USB recovery drive in case anything goes wrong in the upgrade process and you need to recover Windows. To update your installation of Windows 8 to Windows 8.1:
- Follow this link and click “Get the Update” Download Windows 8.1
- Double click Windows8-RT-KB2849636-x64.msu to begin setup
- When prompted, click Yes
- Once the installation is complete, restart your computer
- When prompted, click Go to Store (if you’re not prompted, press the Windows button, type Store, and click Store; click Windows 8 Preview)
- On the Windows 8.1 Preview screen, click Download
- Once the download is complete, restart your computer
If all goes well, you’re at Windows 8.1; if it fails, let us know in the comments. Now you can boot straight to the Windows desktop—if that’s your preference.