In a lot of the guides on this site, we ask you to show hidden files. If you are not sure of how to do this, this guide is for you.
Although the interface of Windows has changed since Windows XP, the steps taken to show hidden files are the same for Windows XP, Vista, and 7. I’ved used XP for the screenshots in this guide.
Show Hidden Files in Windows
To show hidden files in Windows:
- Open (My) Computer.
- Windows Vista/7: press the Alt key.
- Click Tools > Folder Options…
- Click the View tab, select Show hidden files and folders, and uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).
- Click Yes to accept the warning about showing hidden operating system files.
- Click OK to save your settings.