In previous guides, I showed you how to encrypt your files in Windows (XP) (Vista/7) In this guide, I’ll show you how to decrypt these files. You may need to decrypt your files in the following circumstances:
- Moving files to a new computer
- Reformatting your current machine and using your encrypted files on the new installation of Windows
Exporting Your Current Encryption Key
When you learned how to encrypt your files, you created an encryption key. To export your key for use on another computer or on a new installation of Windows, do the following:
- Press Winkey+R to open the run dialogue (Start > Run), and type mmc
- Click File > Add/Remove Snap in…
- Select Certificates and click Add
- Click My user account and click Finish. Click Close. Click OK.
- At the console root, expand Certificates – Current User > Personal > Certificates. Now right click on your user name and click All Tasks > Export…
- Unless you want to change them, keep the defaults and give your exported file a name.