I use Outlook at work and no matter how many times I check the Remember Password box, Outlook/Outlook Express does not remember my password and I have to type it every time. In this guide I have included a fix for this problem. This guide is for Windows XP an Vista users.
Please Note: This guide involves working with the Windows Registry. If this is your first time editing the registry, please read this guide to get you started. Learn how to backup and restore your registry here.
1. Hold the Windows Key and Press R. (Or click Start > Run)
2. Type Regedit and press enter.
3. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Protected Storage System Provider \
4. Right-click on Protected Storage System Provider, and from the menu choose Permissions…
5. On the Security tab, press the Advanced button
6. On the Permissions tab, XP Users select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects check box. Vista Users select the Replace all existing inheritable permissions on all descendents with inheritable permissions from this object. Click Apply, and then click Yes on the Security warning dialog
7. Under the Name column heading, ensure that the user currently logged on has Full Control access.
8. Click OK. The following message appears: Do you want to replace the permission on all existing subkeys within Protected Storage System Provider?
9. Select Yes and press OK on the permissions box.
10. Now in the registry editor, double-click the Protected Storage System Provider key to expand the key, click the user subkey folder that is directly below Protected Storage System Provider key.
11. Press the Delete key.
12. Click Yes in the warning message dialog box
Note: There may be many subkeys depending on how many users you have. You will need to delete all of these keys.
13. Close the registry editor
14. The changes will take effect next time you restart your computer.
15. Start Outlook/Outlook express, enter your password when prompted, and select Remember Password – your problem will be solved.