I wish I could say that this is free, but none of the free options were high enough quality for me to recommend. That being said, it is by far the best solution for remoting into your Windows machine. Whether you are a gadget lover who likes having the coolest toys, the productivity geek who needs to have multiple solutions to every problem, or even the Windows SYS Admin who wants to be prepared…. just in case; if you need the best solution to remote in, I recommend Jaadu. It’s 25 bucks, which for an iPhone app isn’t cheap, but if you need remote desktop access it’s 25 dollars well-spent.
I’d write up a step-by-step of how to install it on Windows, but Jaadu already beat me to it with great Vista & XP guides already written up.
Jaadu RDP gives you full control of your PC’s mouse and keyboard while providing a rich visual display of your computer screen on your iPhone or iPod Touch.
Jaadu RDP’s patent pending TouchPad interface lets you use applications running on your PC easily and efficiently.
Jaadu RDP lets you stream audio directly from your PC to your iPhone or iPod Touch.
Jaadu RDP is secure, using data encryption for all communication with your PC.
Jaadu RDP uses Microsoft’s Remote Desktop Protocol to communicate directlywith your Windows machine. This means better performance and no additional software downloads to access your PC. Just configure your system and go!
International keyboard support.
Your PC in your Pocket. Anywhere, anytime.
Detailed Features List
- Intuitive Touchpad mode makes it a breeze to efficiently control PC applications using your iPhone: watch the video.
- Mouse support: left click, right click, double click, drag-drop and scroll wheel.
- Smart gestures: 3-tap quick zoom in/out, 2-finger vertical scroll, 2-finger horizontal swipe for task switching.
- Keyboard: modifier Ctrl, Alt, Tab, Win, cursor, short cut keys, CTRL+ALT+DEL and much more.
- Support for international keyboards and characters.
- Touchscreen mode for touch-screen friendly PC applications.
- Built-in RDP 128 bit encryption.
- Fully compatible with built-in iPhone VPN for corporate networks.
- Support for SSH proxies.
- Three audio quality control settings for optimal bandwidth usage over 3G/EDGE connections.
- Option to leave audio on PC or to turn audio off completely.
- Very high screen resolution support: 3000×1500 tested and works perfectly.
- 15-bit color and 256 color support
- Performance settings to increase responsiveness on slow internet connections.
- Manage your servers from anywhere using your iPhone/iPod Touch
- Full support for Windows Server products (Windows 2000 onwards)
- Connect to unlimited number of servers using Jaadu’s server manager
- Console session option
Installation instructions for Vista
Installation instructions for XP
P.S. If you really want to go crazy with remote desktop with the iPhone you can go in reverse & login to your iPhone from your PC. You might wonder “Why would I want to login to my tiny iPhone screen when I have my PC?” but it can come in handy if you like keeping your notes all on your iPhone (and you’re not a fan of Evernote), for example. Click here for details on Veency.