If you have downloaded the free books from Windows Guides (or any PDF) and it won’t open, you may see any of the following messages:
- Invalid Adobe PDF
- Error Locating Object Handler
- Adobe reader could not open the file ‘ABC.pdf’ because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been corrupted (for example it has been sent as an email attachment and wasn’t correctly decoded
- An Internal Error Occurred
- Other obscure and unhelpful messages
This guide will take you through basic troubleshooting steps you can use to view PDF files that seem to work for every one else but you.
Note: This guide does not teach you how to fix a corrupted PDF file; this guide teaches you how to fix a corrupted PDF download. In other words, the PDF file is not the problem, what happened when it downloaded to your PC caused the problem.
Fixing a Corrupted PDF Download
To fix a corrupted PDF download, I recommend you do the following, in this order (check the download after each step so you don’t create more work than you need to do):
- Get the latest version of Adobe Reader (or your PDF reader of choice.)
- Clear your internet cache and try the download again.
- Use a different browser and try downloading the file again i.e. if you used Internet Explorer, try Mozilla Firefox.
- Update your internet browser, clear your cache (again), and try the download (again.) Get the latest version of your browser of choice—which is likely much more secure anyway.
- If you’re unsuccessful after trying all the steps above, you can ask for help in the forums.
Hopefully, one of these steps will help you open the PDF file you’re trying to download. If you want to learn more tips like this, why not subscribe and download free Windows books, which are packed with tips and tricks just like this.