Backup is the overall most important thing you’ll ever do when working on your computer. There are literarely tons of software promising to do that for you in the easiest and safest way possible. Me, personally I am old school computer geek who likes to have total control, so I’m going to show you how you can get a complete backup of you Outlook emails and contacts in just a few minutes. In this guide I am referring to MS Outlook 2007, but this guide should also cover earlier versions like 2003 and 2000.
Here’s how to really do it in the fast and reliable way…
The pst-files contains all of your emails and contacts so really all you need to do is make a copy of it. Then when you need to restore or connect a fresh installation of Outlook to your “old” emails and contact you can import the “old” pst-file into the Outlook Pst Folder.
Making the Backup
- Open Outlook
- Open the Tools Menu, choose Accounts
- Now you see the Account Settings Window
- Click on the tab named Data Files. In the window you will now see all the PST-files that Outlook is presently using. If you have let Outlook run the Archive Function there will be two pst-files.
- Click Open File Location, Windows Explorer will now open a window at the default location.
- Close Outlook, but leave the Explorer window open
- Copy the pst-files of choice to a new location, for example a CD or an online backup site.
That’s all there’s to it.
Read on to learn about how to restore your pst-files into a clean Outlook