I’ve done a major rework on the PC Maintenance Handbook and the second edition is now available as a free download. Below is a changelog of some of the changes you’ll see in the new edition. As always, feedback–whether positive or constructive–is always welcome.
- [Change] Cover page with new icon, description, and formatting.
- [Change] New subtitle: “Improve Your PC’s Performance, Speed, and Reliability”
- [Change] References to 2nd edition of the book.
- [Change] Organized terminology in alphabetical order.
- [Change] Modified heading structure of book to aid in navigation.
- [Update] About the Author section to include new books and hobbies.
- [Update] Removed recommendation for Smart Defrag.
- [Update] Removed recommendation for AVG Internet Security.
- [Update] Screenshots of programs to their latest versions for consistency.
- [Update] Updated information about the PC Decrapifier.
- [Feature] Added definiton for Windows Update to the terminology section.
- [Feature] Added internal links to help with navigation throughout the book.
- [Feature] Link color convention to distinguish between Windows Guides, external site, and internal book links.
- [Feature] Information on how to create and use a system restore point.
- [Feature] Information on how to backup your data using Windows backup.
- [Feature] Information on how to back up your data to optical media.
- [Feature] Section explaining how to “Keep Windows and Installed Software up to Date.”
- [Feature] Instructions to help users keep Windows up to date.
- [Feature] Instructions to help users keep their browser and flash up to date.
- [Feature] Instructions to help users keep all other installed software up to date.
- [Feature] Recommendation for Microsoft Security Essentials.
- [Feature] Add recommendation for Defraggler.
- [Feature] Add recommendation for CCleaner.
- [Feature] Instructions to help users find and delete duplicate files.
- [Fix] Changed bulletted and numbered lists from justified text to left-aligned text.
- [Fix] Grammar updates.
(Free Newsletter sign up required.)