Web Analytics
   Register •   Forum Home •   FAQ      Login    
   Windows Forums Register
Donate a Dollar to Pay for Next Year’s Web Hosting It is currently Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Ongoing Help To Build A New PC :)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:10 pm 

Hey guys.
I want to build a new home PC, it's going to be the new head pancho in my home with up to 3 other PC's connecting to it to share it's content.
The problem is, i haven't got a clue where to start :?
I though that the case would be a good place to start but after looking at some cases i realised that i would have to buy one that fits the motherboard i'm going to buy. I then try looking for some motherboards that would fit but then it won't take the RAM i want, and so it goes on :lol:
I have a budget of £700.

Here's some things i'd like in the new build.
Please tell me if i'm in cloud cookoo land!

Nice looking case
1TB HDD
Blu-Ray drive
8GB + RAM
Pretty decent graphics card (i have a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 Go atm, i want a better one!)
Nice, fast processor, AMD or Intel ( i have a AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56, it's good but not got that punch!)
TV Tuner card

A monitor isn't necessary as my new 52" HD TV will be here soon :ugeek:
Keyboard & mouse not necessary
Wireless networking not necessary

I have no clue when it comes what to buy, where from, how much is too much etc.

If anyone's willing to hold my hand through or can offer any advice on this i'd really appreciate it. :D

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject: Re: Ongoing Help To Build A New PC :)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lucky for you I just built a PC so I can help out... except for the budget... 700 quid huh? I never bought a PC when I was in the UK, and I'm back in the states now, so I have no idea what you can get for that much.
You will probably want a Mini- or Full-ATX motherboard and case for this one, since you're going to have 2-3 expansion cards in the back of the thing. I have a Micro-ATX and things get a little cramped in there. Airflow is very important in the case, especially when you have a GPU. I am an Intel man, so I would recommend a Core 2 Quad processor (or i7 if you really want to fork out the $$). I would buy the motherboard first, as everything else depends on it (what type of RAM it can handle, what processor, what type of expansion cards (PCI, PCI-e), interface for HDDs and media drives) and you can always find a case that you like in any size. Also, although some motherboards have good sound (I have a Gigabyte with built in 7.1 channel support) if you're watching Blu-Rays on a 52" HDTV in 1080p you'll probably want a good sound card that has better than that. Hope that helps a little bit. For all my parts I went to Newegg and read the reviews to find the best stuff in every category and my price range, and my build went awesome! Let me know how it goes.

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:18 pm 

Ok so lets start with the motherboard, the Intel i7 is a bit steep for me, i think i'll go towards the Intel Core 2 Quads (LGA775), they have good reviews. I want DDR3 RAM, am i barking up the right tree here?

http://cid-75b5dc84e6a16e0d.skydrive.li ... 0Build.one

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah you betcha... just find a motherboard compatible with the LGA 775 socket that supports a Core 2 Quad and DDR3 RAM. Also make sure the front side bus (FSB) is at least as fast as the RAM is, or you'll be wasting speed. And if your motherboard supports it, try to get the RAM as fast as the FSB. Your board will probably have SATA, so get SATA HDDs and Blu-Ray. And in our day, don't settle for less than 7200 RPM HDDs or they'll spin slower than the SATA transfer speed... and that would just be sad. Hope this helps with the barebones setup. Everything else is power, video, and goodies.

Profile E-mail