Web Analytics
   Register •   Forum Home •   FAQ      Login    
   Windows Forums Register
Donate a Dollar to Pay for Next Year’s Web Hosting It is currently Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Customise Windows Media Center
New postPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Edit: Nov 14, 2009. This post is updated as an online guide here and as a PDF here.

Holy crap. This guide is amazing! I have myself a new project; I'll report back with my findings.

EDIT: I am lazy so I wrote a script that makes a directory for every AVI/MKV file and moves the file to the new directory. I hope this is useful to people using this guide. Download each script below. If you want to do the same for MPG files etc, then edit the script and replace AVI with MPG. The reason I didn't do *.* is because I didn't want it trying to move the batch file.

Download the .BAT file, put it in the folder with your movies and run it. It will come up with a bunch of errors, but it works. It's too late here to try and make the script perfect, but it woks :)

Attachment:
move-files-to-folders.zip

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile E-mail  
New postPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Awesome you guys! As soon as I get my desktop set up and my broadband burning up the wire with movie downloads, I will get on this.

Profile E-mail  
New postPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:17 pm 

Nice one Rich, wish i'd had you around the other week!!

UPDATE: Please note Media Browser will NOT work on an Extender for WMC (especially Xbox 360 :()

Profile E-mail  
New postPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good to know. My wife wants me to separate the PC and TV (so there's not a huge desktop in the front room), so I was thinking of having a Media extender wired to each TV from a Cisco ASA. I guess I can live without the fancy looks, but it looks great! Screenshots coming soon :)

Profile E-mail  
New postPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:00 pm 
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

WOW, that looks fantastic! Really tight! :shock:

Profile E-mail  
New postPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:51 pm 

UPDATE:

Instead of using YAMMM to collect the metadata and backdrops etc. i've found a better program, it called meta<browser>, it's can be a little compliacted to use but the results are worth it!
meta<browser> will download multiple DVD covers, multiple backdrops, synopsis information, actor pictures (for use with media broswer), MPAA ratings & it'll do the same for all your TV shows!

Profile E-mail  
New postPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:00 am 
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

wow, amazing, thanks man

Profile E-mail  
New postPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:45 pm 
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

I Loved yammm took me a lil bit to understand. Some info for new Yammm users

Yammm sits in the background as a service. so its not a program that will do a search and rename your movies and puts pictures and stuff like that. it just sits there. it automatically does what it has to do.

Key to getting all the information onto your movie is this.... You need to have the movie file under its own folder. i saw someone else with another program that will put all of the files into individual folders. i think it was called batchfolder or something. anyway manualy put each movie in its folder. The fastest way that yammm is going to find the correct titles is by you helping it name that folder accordingly. if the movie is for example king of the hill and your folder looks like this kingofthehill7898. good luck getting that info. so give it the correct name to the folder dont worry about the movie title underneath the folder so who cares if kingofthehillmovienameisthis98765123456.avi if you got the wrong cover art and info you will have to manually fix it by setting view hidden files an folders delete everything but the movie and make sure the folder has got the right title. you can also set the config file for yammm to rename the movie to what its really called so king of the hill 1.. wich would be a title that is pretty darn close would than be renamed to king of the hill (2010)... it worked for me flawlessly because i could than know by just using explorer to tell that movie folders without there year did not have covers yet. Usually the movie would not be recognized because of the title. Use google and type the name of the movie and it will take you to the real name under imdb or something that has the title with a year. copy the title but not the year. paste it on the folder and watch yammm do its thing. you will also see the year pop up almost instantly. oh have windows media center running in the background as windows. so thats how it works. thanks correct me on anything im just here to help great job guys.

Profile E-mail  
New postPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:22 am 
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Great! I got all excited about this and then realised Mediabrowser seems to be for Vista Media Centre only. Anyone know of an alternative for XP? I've got Windows MCE 2005.

Profile E-mail  
New postPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:27 am 

@ Oli - I found these,dunno if it helps you at all ....... ?? :)
http://www.tweakmce.com/ and http://www.tweakmce.com/article35868.aspx

Profile E-mail